Thanksgiving is quickly approaching and everyone in the family is ready to stuff their bellies, including your four-legged kids! Although it may be very tempting to feed our fur kids table scraps, you risk spending the day after Thanksgiving at the Vet and most importantly, you risk getting your fur kids sick. Many foods are high in fat and salt which can cause stomach upset, and some can be toxic, like onions or chocolate, including those with sugar substitutes (Xylitol). Xylitol is toxic to both cats and dogs. Giving human foods to your pets can cause diarrhea, vomiting, pancreatic issues or more. Spoiling your pet, can result in extensive treatment if your pet(s) falls ill.
If you want your fur kids to join in on the abundance of food and PET-stivities, there are a few human food choices that are safe to give to your fur babies: chicken, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, bananas, yogurt (all plain, without seasoning or sweeteners) are a few to choose from. Pumpkin cookies & frozen yogurt pops are a few festive ideas.
Don’t let those sweet, or slobbery faces fool you. Although a food coma is typical and quite frankly, necessary after Thanksgiving day, avoid coming to the Vet and spend the day after Thanksgiving recovering and eating leftovers.
PLEASE BE AWARE OF ANY FOOD ALLERGIES THAT YOUR PET MAY HAVE OR ANY DIGESTIVE ISSUES. Any safe human food given to your pet should be given in moderation and the weight of your pet should be taken into consideration when determining how much to give. Please consult with your veterinarian if you are unsure or have any questions regarding your pet’s diet.
A brief message from the veterinarians: For information on toxins in pets, see https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control. We don’t suggest feeding human foods to pets routinely, but if you can’t resist including them at the supper table, please give them only very small portions of very plain foods to help avoid causing vomiting and diarrhea.